Working out the right time to relocate your parents is never an easy decision. There comes a point in everyone’s lives when we look at our parents and think, ‘would they be better off in a different community?’, or ‘does dad need us to help him out with some extra care?’.
It’s never an easy thing to think about, especially since people are more likely to move around in adult life, following educational opportunities, jobs and significant others across the country. So, what happens when mum and dad need some extra care and support? One thing you could consider is relocating them closer to you, using senior relocation services in your area to help.
Why Relocate Your Parents?
There are several reasons you might be thinking about relocating your parents. Whether you’re worrying that they aren’t socialising as much as they used to, or wanting to move away from long-distance caregiving and towards something easier for you to manage. Or maybe your parents have expressed a wish to relocate themselves? Whatever the reason, it’s important you’ve thought through and discussed all of the possibilities with your parents, and you all come to an agreement together.
Try not to worry about the actual moving process – senior relocation services can help alleviate a lot of the stress and strain of actually moving, which means all that’s left to decide is if relocating your parents is the right thing to do. To help you make that decision, we’ve put together a few pros and cons to relocating mum and dad.
Advantages to Relocating Mum and Dad
First things first, what are some of the reasons you should consider relocating your parents to another area?
- A Chance to Make new Friends. As your parents get older, their pool of friends may start to shrink. Moving to new areas, into care homes or passing away, their chances for socialising will start to become limited. Using senior relocation services to relocate to a new area or even into a retirement community gives them the chance to make new friends, forge new connections and increase their social contact – all of which are good for their mental and physical wellbeing.
- Be Closer to Family. Moving your parents closer to the family means more people to keep an eye on them, more chances to socialise and more opportunities to enjoy those precious family moments. Family can often offer extra care and socialisation that’s important for ageing parents.
- Get Closer to Favourite Holiday Spots. If your parents love to holiday in a particular place every year, it might be worth considering using one of the senior relocation services in your area to move them closer. That way they can be in a place that brings them happiness and good memories, and when travelling long distances becomes too much to manage, they can still enjoy those holidays by the beach.
Disadvantages To Relocating Mum and Dad
- Uprooting them. Regardless of whether your parents have been living in the same town for 50 years or they moved there within the last decade, it’s safe to say they will have put down roots in their area. They will have formed close relationships with their neighbours and doctors, may have joined local organisations and enjoy taking part in community events. Relocating them if they are heavily established can uproot their entire world, so it’s something you need to consider.
- Disturbing their routine. Similar to the above, relocating your parents could also cause a disturbance to their routine. Routines are very important for people as they get older, and it might be difficult for your parents to adjust to a new routine in their new home. This might mean they need some extra support from you as they get settled and establish a new routine.
- Moving Stress. Moving is one of the most stressful things you can go through in life, and that’s when you’re young, fit and healthy. Moving older parents comes with its own set of problems, including how to downsize their possessions, saying goodbye to a property they have a close bond with, and managing the actual moving element. Luckily, this is the disadvantage that is easy to solve – simply use a senior relocation service.
Why use Senior Relocation Services?
Senior relocation services are designed to help you manage the entire process of relocating your elderly parents, no matter where they’re coming from or going to. From sitting with your parents and guiding them through the downsizing process, delivering rubbish and donations to the right places, and even managing the entire move for them from packing to unpacking at the other end. Senior relocation services can help put your parents (and your) mind at ease and keep the whole relocation process running smoothly from beginning to end.
Once you’ve decided to relocate your elderly parents, it’s time to put the wheels in motion. At Home Care Removals, we believe that moving your elderly parents should be a simple, stress-free process. But we also know how hard that can be to create and manage on your own. Our senior relocation services are designed to provide you with a smooth, simple way to relocate your elderly parents without any stress or worry. If you would like to know more, just get in touch with us today.